Getting legal help

Were you told you do not qualify for legal aid?

Did you apply for legal aid and we told you no? Was your legal aid cancelled?

Do you have new or additional information that could change the decision?

What do you do?

Step 1: Appeal to the local area committee

You have 15 days of getting your notice of cancellation to appeal to the area committee. An area committee is made up of lawyers and members of the community and is responsible for looking at legal aid decisions.

To do this, send a letter to the legal aid office that is on your notice. You have to include:

  • your name
  • your client number (this is at the top of your notice)
  • your current mailing address and telephone number
  • the reason you are asking us to look at your decision again

If you do not agree with the area committee's decision, go to step 2.

Step 2: Appeal to the provincial office appeals department

If you still do not agree, send a letter to the provincial office appeals department at the provincial head office.

Legal Aid Ontario
Provincial office appeals
40 Dundas Street West, Suite 200
Toronto, ON M5G 2H1

Tel: 416‑979‑7133
Fax: 416‑979‑7338

All decisions made by the provincial office appeals department is final.

If your financial situation changes, contact us to find out if you can be financially reassessed.

Note: If you live outside of Ontario, you cannot appeal to either area committee or provincial office appeals. All decisions are final.