Getting legal help

Family legal issues

We might be able to help if you qualify and if:

Working on things outside of court

You do not have to go to court to decide every legal issue. If you and your ex want to work together, you can mediate.

We have mediators in Milton, Ottawa, Brampton, Peel and Newmarket that can help you if you qualify. If you do not qualify, we can refer you to other mediators who are either free or charge you depending on what you're able to pay.

If you do not qualify for a lawyer we will help pay for

You can get help from Family Law Information Centre at your courthouse if you qualify. The legal aid lawyer (called advice lawyers) available, can give you up to 20 minutes of free general advice. The advice lawyer may also be able to give you a referral to a family law service centre. If there is no advice lawyer available, you will find various brochures and fact sheets to help guide you.

Check the table below to see if you qualify for advice lawyer services.

Number of family members How much money does your family earn in a year?
1 $22,720
2 $32,131
3 $39,352
4 $45,440
5+ $50,803